Hello People. This article gives you an idea about IBM Child Tracker IOT project architecture. Child tracker helps parents to monitor their child’s location. Parents can create a geofence around the particular location. Notifications will be generated if the child crosses the geofence. The entire location data will be stored in the database.
A model Child Tracker With Emergency Notifications can be created using resources like IBM Cloud, IBM IoT Platform, IBM Nodered, IBM Cloudant DB. Basic knowledge on cloud services like below would be required.
- IBM Watson IoT Platform
- Node-RED Service
- Cloudant DB
To create an IBM Cloud Account, refer to the link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xIvEuFcUJY
To start your project, please install Python IDE. Click here for the reference video of python installation.
Install the required python libraries. Install Watson IoT python SDK to connect to IBM Watson IoT Platform using python code. Enter the following command in command prompt: pip install wiotp-sdkpip
Download the required files from the link
Create a fast to SMS service for sending the messages and get the API: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIsvRgzQt0o
- The GPS coordinates of the child will be sent to IBM IoT platform
- Location can be viewed in the Web Application
- Parent can create a geofence in the web application
- Web application will check if the child is inside or outside the geofence
- Notifies the parents if the child goes out of the geofence
To accomplish this, we have to complete all the activities and tasks listed below:
- Create and configure IBM Cloud Services
- Create IBM Watson IoT Platform
- Create a device & configure the IBM IoT Platform
- Create Node-RED service
- Create a database in Cloudant DB to store location data
- Develop a web Application using Node-RED Service.
- Develop the web application using Node-RED
- Integrate the geofence & google map
- Develop a python script to publish the location details to the IBM IoT platform
Create And Configure IBM Cloud Services
In this milestone, create and configure the IBM Cloud services which are being used in completing this project.
IBM Watson IoT platform acts as the mediator to connect the web application to IoT device, so create the IBM Watson IoT platform.
In order to connect the IoT device to the IBM cloud, create a device in the IBM Watson IoT platform and get the device credentials.
Configure the connection security and create API keys which are used in Node-RED service for accessing the IBM IoT Platform. Here is the reference link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doh9ADU8CyU
Create Node-RED Service
To create a web application create a Node-RED service.
Refer the below video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R46iK-XYKW4
Create A Database In Cloudant DB
Launch the cloudant DB and create a database to store the location data.Refer to the below video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxC0D9KDWD4
Develop a Python Script
Develop a python script to publish the location details to IBM IoT platform. Develop a python code for publishing the location (latitude and longitude) data to the IBM IoT Platform. Reference is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJNw6_e4kkA
Develop a Web Application Using Node-RED
The web application should have the following features:
- Connect to IBM IoT platform and get the location data
- Display the location in Google map
- Check whether the child is inside the geofence or not
- Send the notification if the child goes out of the geofence
- Store all the location data in the cloudant DB
Connect to IBM IoT platform and get the location, store the data in cloudant DB.
Integrate the geofence to check if the child is inside or outside the geofence and display the location in google map.
Send the notification if the child is out of geofence.
You should need dashboard nodes to be installed to build a dashboard.
- Follow the below steps to install
When you open your node-RED flow it looks like the image below.
Please click on the drop-down list and select manage palette as shown below.
In the manage Palette search for “node-red-dashboard” and install it.
also, we need geofence nodes for creating a geofence. to install it search for “node-red-node-geofence” in the manage palette and install them.
We need world map nodes for displaying the location in worldmap. search for “node-red-contrib-web-worldmap” in the manage palette and install them.
Hope this article on IBM Child Tracker IOT project architecture is useful to you. Please read Difference between Webhooks and API